Our Homesteading Dream

Living, laughing, loving, and learning on our little suburban homestead.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Herbs For the Family...

Using herbal remedies for my family is a topic that has intrigued me for quite some time.

I've decided to dip my toe in the waters of herbs by making a simple Elder berry cough syrup. I found the recipe at The Family Homestead (though have found several variations on different sites.)

1 cup of dried elder berries
3 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of honey
Brandy (totally optional)

Put the berries and water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 1 hour. Strain with fin mesh strainer or fabric. Stir in the honey and 1 tablespoon of brandy (optional but will help with preservation.) until they have dissolved. Let cool and then pour into a bottle or canning jar. Store in the fridge.

I'm planning on using 1 tsp for my children and 1 tablespoon for the adults.



I'm slowly collecting medicinal herbs and teas for my family and am so thrilled with this new path in our journey for natural, self sufficient living.

No comments: