Our Homesteading Dream

Living, laughing, loving, and learning on our little suburban homestead.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Proverbs 31...Seeking Foods From Afar

I felt like the Proverbs 31 woman today..."She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. 14She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar... "

We live in a remote, little town and unfortunately, it doesn't offer all that we need...or the prices I'm willing to pay:P

So I did some traveling today...I was on a mission...for clothes, food, milk and more!

Usually 2x's a year, I pull everyones clothes out and go through them. I assess the needs, remove the clothes that no longer fit (usually to be donated or passed down) and make a list of who needs what. I keep my list with me and any yard sales or thrift shops I go to, I keep an eye out for the items on my list...I refuse to pay full price anymore and I really prefer to re-use and recycle whenever possible.

So the first stop I made, was to a Goodwill thrift shop.

I was able to find (all brand names):

Adam-1 pair of pants, 2 sweaters, 1 dress shirt, 1 t-shirt and 2 long sleeve shirts.
Karina-1 long sleeve blouse, 1 dress, and a pair of shoes.
Cassidy-A fun polka dotted 2 piece dress.
Arianna-1 long sleeved day dress, 2 short sleeve dresses (1 very formal, 1 for church or other nice occasions)
Myself-1 dress, 1 skirt, 1 blouse, 1 sweater

All of this came to 34$! What a wonderful blessing to find these clothes ;)

Then I went to a co-op that we are members of. This co-op is more like a health foods store and I was one of the founding members....it's not quite what I had hoped it would be, but it's a neat place to get a nice variety of healthy products. I bought some rye floor, black beans, french lentils and seventh generation dish soap.

Then it was off to the feed store. I purchased a ginormous bag of all natural scoop-able kitty litter, some healthy kitten food and a litter box. We are hoping to adopt 1 or 2 kittens soon and wanted to be prepared.

Then to the discount grocery store....I really wish we had one of these in our area! It's called Price Rite and the food prices were phenomenal. I stocked up on ground beef, butter, canned goods, and even bought a ham. I also bought a really big watermelon, carrots, apples etc.

Then it was over to my wonderful friend and coop co-coordinator (this is a real co-op..the one I buy all the large bags of dried goods through) My friend was willing to take a little rooster that I had and had picked up 2 point of lay pullets for me. She also gave me some nice loaf pans, some delicious pumpkin bread and a miniature grocery carriage for our children to play with. This woman is truly a woman of God and you can just feel the love of Christ emanating from her!!!

Our last stop was to a large farm that sells raw milk. The family that owns and runs it is so kind and let us go and visit with the new calves while they filled our milk jars. We're able to get our milk for $3 a gallon here...it's so worth the hour drive to get it!

All this driving around took about 7 hours. A long day, but so fruitful and worth it.

I'm home now...and sooo ready for a quiet family night ;) We are going to have pizza (not homemade this time...just too pooped) and watch Little House on the Prairie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a busy day in town yesterday as well. Today, I'm hoping to do a bit of Thrift Storing. I no longer live near any GoodWills, but there are a few small, local name thrift stores I'm hoping to check out today.

There are a lot of Mennonites around here, so I'm hoping there will be some great dresses for my little girl and I. Plus, my boys always need new pants. It's almost like the second they put on new pants, holes suddenly pop up on the knees, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm reading your blog almost 6 months after you wrote it but I wanted to suggest another way to save money. If you got those cats and they're indoors...potty train them instead of using a litter box. Saves on litter. :)
Here's a link on the subject:
http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html