Our Homesteading Dream

Living, laughing, loving, and learning on our little suburban homestead.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Culturing Fun...

Isn't culturing fun? I remember when I got my nutrimill...I sat there, with squinted eyes, rubbing my palms together...just looking for something to grind!


Today, I made a big batch of sauerkraut and ginger carrots a la Nourishing Traditions. I have a new sourdough starter brewing as well as some water kefir, and traditional milk kefir, and a new batch of kombucha brewing...


Now, it's all about the cultures and fermenting! Hmmmm...what else can I ferment???? I'm having fun working with these different things...and what a healthy pass time it is :P

If you are making baby steps towards a healthier lifestyle, you should really consider working with some of these live cultures. They are easy to maintain, inexpensive and the health benefits are phenomenal ;) Having a "living kitchen" is a wonderful example to your family as well :)

1 comment:

Carolina Girl said...

HI! I just discovered your blog through Candy's at keepingthehome. I love it! :) Washing by hand is something I always wanted to try, but never want to have to do - does that make sense? I would also LOVE to have a living kitchen, but don't know how to get started. Who can afford starters for all of it these days? I may try my hand at sourdough, but the others pretty much need starters, don't they?
Shellie